Topics

locked Should messages on the NCDEA Network be private or public? #poll

Pacific NCDEA

Currently, the NCDEA Network is configured so that messages are publicly viewable, but to post a message you must be a member.  One of our first decisions as users of this communication tool is: should our messages be viewable by non-members?

Please weigh in with your opinion.  We are the early adopters and with that comes the opportunity to shape the system for future members.

Results

See Who Responded

Pacific NCDEA

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 07:55 AM, Pacific NCDEA wrote:

Hi folks.  From the limited responses, it seems clear that there is a desire to have conversations here not be visible to non-members.  I'm pretty sure that I understand some of the reasons why.

I have a counterview to propose for discussion: allowing non-members to read our discussions on the NCDEA Network.  My overarching concern is that we could accidentally create the perception that we are talking negatively about conservation district boards or operating in some fashion as a secretive union-type organization.  The union perception still lives on, by the way.  I end up having to address nearly every time I talk with district board members and some partners about NCDEA.

So the push-pull I see is more open and "to the point" discussions if the site was restricted vs. the risk of creating a false impression that NCDEA is a union.

Personally, I'm on the fence and am willing to be guided by your advice.

Thank you,

Tom

--
Tom Salzer, Pacific Region Director, NCDEA
pacificrep@...

Craig Nelson

Tom,

I too feel that these should be open.  Coming from a state where all of our records (minus a very select few that are restricted due to mostly federal law) this doesn't bother me in the least.  We are all public service employees that are working to make our communities better.  Nothing breeds suspicion and contempt greater than secret conversations or societies.  If someone feels they need to ask a question that regards a subject that is delicate and probably shouldn't be discussed in public, I would suggest that they reach out directly to a member or two of this group or other reliable colleagues.

My simple minded two cents worth.

Craig Nelson
Okanogan CD (Washington State)

Sarah Moorehead

I agree with Craig on this.

Thanks all!

Monte Marti

I concur with Craig.

Thank you.

Monte Marti

District Manager

Snohomish Conservation District
monte@...

425-377-7001

425-359-3085 (cell)

or you can also

Find us on Facebook!

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 10:31 AM Craig Nelson <craig@...> wrote:
Tom,

I too feel that these should be open.  Coming from a state where all of our records (minus a very select few that are restricted due to mostly federal law) this doesn't bother me in the least.  We are all public service employees that are working to make our communities better.  Nothing breeds suspicion and contempt greater than secret conversations or societies.  If someone feels they need to ask a question that regards a subject that is delicate and probably shouldn't be discussed in public, I would suggest that they reach out directly to a member or two of this group or other reliable colleagues.

My simple minded two cents worth.

Craig Nelson
Okanogan CD (Washington State)

Gretchen Rank

Agreed!

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:08 AM Pacific NCDEA <pacificrep@...> wrote:
[...]

Southwest Representative for NCDEA

Pacific NCDEA

Hey folks, I'm going to lock this poll a week from today, so by Friday, February 15, no more poll responses will be accepted.

For those who haven't weighed in, please do so.  Or comment on the poll.  We need your input as we roll this ball up the hill together!

Best,

Tom

--
Tom Salzer, Pacific Region Director, NCDEA
pacificrep@...

Pacific NCDEA

The NCDEA Network will remain viewable by non-members.

In addition to the publicly posted comments, I also received several individual emails.  Every one of those individual emails was in favor of keeping the Network viewable by non-members.  The majority of people who responded to the poll and who reached out to me individually favor keeping the Network open, so that's what we'll do.

If you have private topics, I encourage you to develop trust-based relationships with other conservation district professionals and lean on them to seek advice.

Thank you for participating.  Please continue to spread the word about the NCDEA Network.  NCDEA has 7,000 members.  My personal goal is to see 5% of members participating in the Network by the end of 2019!

The poll is now locked.  If you'd like to talk about this topic, please start a new topic :-)

Be well,

Tom