Topics

Question of the week: state-level sub-groups for the NCDEA Network?

Jay Udelhoven

I think this is one of the questions I'd like to discuss at CONNECT in a few weeks.

"What forum is best for Oregon SWCD DMs to keep in touch with one another on a consistent/as-needed basis?"

If the majority think this forum will work, I'm all in. If not, then we might need something else. What that is, I do not  know.

Tim Riley

If attending UW will help me to remember the definition of words like "ambivalent" without having to look ask Google, then I buy in to your theory that UW is the better school.  This hypothesis is flawed however, because WSU may in fact offer that same level of vocabulary education....darn now I have to ask Google the definition of "hypothesis" to make sure I'm using it correctly....what a vicious mental conundrum you have caused Craig....ugh here we go again "OK google, what's the definition of conundrum?"........

Tim Riley

I feel if we are going to give our audience what they want, then yes we should "if so requested".

Perhaps in doing so they can have the option of making the group and/or individual topics public or private?  Not sure what capabilities this software has...

Monte Marti

I concur with Craig's thoughts/comments.

Thank you.

Monte Marti

District Manager

Snohomish Conservation District
monte@...

425-377-7001

425-359-3085 (cell)

or you can also

Find us on Facebook!

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 1:36 PM Craig Nelson <craig@...> wrote:
I'm personally ambivalent about this topic.  I see benefits of having state specific topics as there could be conversations in one state that really don't apply elsewhere.  However, having a topic thread that may not apply to me today can be beneficial in the future if I've been exposed to new thoughts and ideas around how to address an issue.

This is just fodder for discussion, but maybe if there was a state specific question we could preface the question with a phrase like "WA Specific" in brackets like (I'm going to start a firestorm here so bear with me):

[WA Specific]: Which is a better school UW or WSU?

That way, folks from other areas know that they can politely tune out but the conversation is still out there if they wish to learn that UW is indeed the better school:).

Craig Nelson

I'm personally ambivalent about this topic.  I see benefits of having state specific topics as there could be conversations in one state that really don't apply elsewhere.  However, having a topic thread that may not apply to me today can be beneficial in the future if I've been exposed to new thoughts and ideas around how to address an issue.

This is just fodder for discussion, but maybe if there was a state specific question we could preface the question with a phrase like "WA Specific" in brackets like (I'm going to start a firestorm here so bear with me):

[WA Specific]: Which is a better school UW or WSU?

That way, folks from other areas know that they can politely tune out but the conversation is still out there if they wish to learn that UW is indeed the better school:).

Pacific NCDEA

Here's a question of the week for your consideration: should we create state-level sub-groups in the NCDEA Network if so requested by a state?  Would a state-level discussion network be useful to conservation district employees?

Thank you for helping to shape the future of this NCDEA Network service!

--
Tom Salzer, Pacific Region Director, NCDEA
pacificrep@...