Topics

How are you being impacted by the federal shutdown?

Tova Tillinghast

Hello,

We have several project permit applications in the hopper with USACE, NMFS/NOAA, and USFS.  We’re waiting on them for responses and approvals, and if this federal shutdown continues, our progress will be delayed.  These permits are for projects we intend to have go to bid in March and construction in July; I really hope our irrigation efficiency and instream habitat projects won’t be thrown off-course due to federal employees being unavailable to review and approve our permits!

Tova B. Tillinghast

District Manager

Underwood Conservation District

Office: 509.493.1936

PO Box 96, 170 NW Lincoln St.

White Salmon, WA 98672

www.ucdwa.org

From: ncdea@groups.io [mailto:ncdea@groups.io] On Behalf Of Pacific NCDEA
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2019 12:39 PM
To: ncdea@groups.io
Subject: [ncdea] How are you being impacted by the federal shutdown?

How is your conservation district being impacted by the federal shutdown?  Please share!

I didn't think mine would feel it, but it turns out that a large property acquisition we are pursuing is at risk because the "Yellow Book" appraisal can't be reviewed by federal employees because they are furloughed.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  And feeling some empathy for our federal partners.

Tom 

--
Tom Salzer, Pacific Region Director, NCDEA
pacificrep@...

George <gboggs@...>

We have a robust CREP program.  Since FSA is an integral partner, landowners and staff have not been able to conduct business for e.g. processing new enrollments.  This is a nuisance but, not a huge barrier.  Our contracts/projects for 2019 planting have been in place before now.  HOPEFULLY, things will get on track before the planting has been done and the contractors start submitting invoices for payment.  If not, that put people in a real financial pinch as site prep/planting is about $5k/acre.  Our NRCS colleagues have been able to stay on the job as they have some excess funding that had been obligated and allowed to be applied to salaries.

As perhaps folks are unaware, there was a 6 month delay in the adoption of a Washington State Capital Budget.  We had to lay off one person and many others voluntarily took accrued leave to help stretch the budget.  There were not any back payments as has historically been the case when our federal partners have been furloughed.  Not jealous but not feeling a lot of sympathy is warranted if they end up with a paid vacation.   

Geo

From: ncdea@groups.io <ncdea@groups.io> On Behalf Of Pacific NCDEA
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 12:39 PM
To: ncdea@groups.io
Subject: [ncdea] How are you being impacted by the federal shutdown?

How is your conservation district being impacted by the federal shutdown?  Please share!

I didn't think mine would feel it, but it turns out that a large property acquisition we are pursuing is at risk because the "Yellow Book" appraisal can't be reviewed by federal employees because they are furloughed.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  And feeling some empathy for our federal partners.

Tom 

--
pacificrep@...

Craig Nelson

Direct impact on CD operations hasn't happened...yet.  We anticipate some projects getting to a point of no return and having to suspend operations on a project by project basis.  However, this shutdown has been different than previous shutdowns in that most of our grantors have authorized us to continue working on projects.  We just can't submit payment requests for most of them or get direction when faced with any problems since the federal employees are furloughed.  

Landowners are being impacted by FSA having shut down operations in the last few days.  Folks wanting payments on programs, work on loan issues, and such don't have anyone to work with.  Shutdowns are a major inconvenience early on, but can quickly escalate into full scale problems.

Craig Nelson, Okanogan CD

Monte Marti

Nothing yet.  We have a meeting planned with NRCS on Monday ~~ so more to come (potentially).

Thank you.

Monte Marti

District Manager

Snohomish Conservation District
monte@...

425-377-7001

425-359-3085 (cell)

or you can also

Find us on Facebook!

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 12:38 PM Pacific NCDEA <pacificrep@...> wrote:

Tom 

--
pacificrep@...

Pacific NCDEA

Tom 

--
pacificrep@...