Re: Please introduce yourself

Sarah Moorehead

Hello,

My name is Sarah Moorehead and I work with Thurston Conservation District in Olympia, Washington. I have been serving the CD for almost 10 years in primarily a communications and community outreach capacity. For the last year and a half I have also been serving the CD as the Interim Executive Director. I too have supported the Washington Association of District Employees through facilitation of conference tracks and training opportunities that focus on developing relationships, communications styles, targeted messaging, outreach strategies, facilitation techniques, knowing your audience and overcoming communication barriers. In 2017, I co-facilitated the development of the South Puget Sound Agricultural Producer Needs Assessment, where our CD partnered with our local extension office and economic development council to look at the needs of and barriers facing producers in our community. I see myself being involved in CDs for the long haul, they have setup permanent shop in my heart and I look forward to supporting the delivery of conservation in our community and beyond into the future.

Our CD is going through a pretty significant transition period, as is the community we serve. Being in the state capitol county has offered us exciting opportunities to participate and support policy development, as well as, an extremely politically diverse and actively engaged community in a fairly small geography - both of which bring many challenges and successes. We are a relatively small county at the southern end of Puget Sound, just shy of about 500,000 acres, with around 300,000 residents - which is rapidly growing! We are fairly rural, except for the Olympia area surrounding the capitol, but as our population increases rapidly, our natural resources are facing significant pressure from land development. Our landscape includes some of the last remnants of prairie oak woodland habitat and a variety of endangered plant and animal species that call this unique ecosystem home. Farms in Thurston County are fairly diversified with many small to mid-sized direct sales operations. Aquaculture is also a major facet of our agricultural production.

Outside of the CD, I am working on starting my own small farm (we've just spent our first year on the land) and restoring an old farmhouse. I love to laugh and play with son, fish, camp, cook and travel!

Nice to meet some new folks from the region! :)

Join main@ncdea.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.